Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Subtopic 2: Laissez-Faire Reversal

My second subtopic basically presents the idea that the Government simply can't go this far; by limiting the foods that children can eat, they are reversing the laissez-faire morals many of the founding fathers possessed.

This argument, unlike my others, is basically a matter of opinion. To me, a healthy teenager, it seems obvious to assume that many Americans will feel invaded and controlled by these Government-enacted laws, however, research has shown that there are people out there ready for the Government to magically solve the obesity problem. I realized my argument solely consisted of a slew of quotations from angered Americans; I needed more to build my argument on. Luckily, I found quotes from several Government officals admitting to struggles lawmakers were experiencing when facing the obesity epidemic. Even those involved admitted that it's a "delicate line" (as one senator put it) that they need to worry about crossing. I believe this enhances my position.

Because I have not yet explained the actual issue I have with these Government encroachments, let me plainly state that I feel the Government is not granted the power to limit what you can and cannot eat because they're worried you'll get fat. I understand the Government reasoning includes points of economic boosting as well as lowering the cost society pays each year in taxes to Medicare of Medicaid funds treating obesity (117 billion-ish), but these reasons do not outweigh the rights I have as a human being - to eat what I want to eat when I want it, regardless of how detrimential it may be to my health. I believe that that this choice is mine alone.

2 comments:

jennmay said...

Hey!

Just as an idea, because you might need things to strengthen your argument, have you tried looking into civil interest groups perceptions of the issue? The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) is a well-recognized, reasonably well-respected organization with opinions on pretty much anything, so I am sure that you'd be able to find something relevant on their site. Also, you may be able to look into previous cases, (Supreme Court, perhaps?) in which government intervention was deemed unconstitutional?

Just some ideas... and once again I tend to agree with you more on the side of favoring a laissez faire government in respect to such things.

Gillian said...

Once again, I agree with you on the idea that the government cannot regulate food and obesity epidemic in America. What the real problem is is America's messed up sense of portions, along with no parental regulation of what their children eat. I think I said this already, but you can look into the recent banning of trans-fat in restaurants (In NY, I think). Thinking for the other side of the argument, the government is not responsible for the obesity epidemic, but they can't necessarily turn a cold shoulder to it. The American people will be wanting a solution, and will turn to the government. Sorry I'm not that insightful.... but happy researching!

PS I envy your ability to stay on top of the blog post due dates