Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Rant

The Government is not a parent. I understand and concede the fact that America is obese. There are 127 million overweight citizens in the country, but the weight of these citizens is not the responsibility of the Government. But I do realize something needs to be done. However, must be realized Government limitations will not produce and headway at all. They will be futile in slimming down the country for several reasons.

To begin, as I previously stated, there are many causes of obesity; simply limiting the intake of certain foods will be only anger healthy and fit Americans with a healthy relationship with food. Also, the government may be able to limit what children can and cannot eat in school, however these laws will be ineffective once children leave the school environment. At home, before many parents return home from work, they can binge on sweets, which is more harmful to their health more than having one cookie at lunchtime.

Being very informed with the topic of eating disorders, I feel like this is the completely wrong approach. Limiting foods will only hurt a child's relationship with food, as they will desire these "forbidden foods", as they've been termed in the pyschology field. Also, the prices that families have to pay for food items will go up, making it more difficult for lower and middle class families to stay full. This law is wrong; the Government is going too far.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I am ENVIOUS that you're done already. I just spent the last couple hours making more notecards haha, I have yet to start the process of putting everything together in a rough draft. I think you have a really good argument, I am pumped to read you essay tomorrow.